On November 6, 2013, the Board of County Commissioners of Sarasota County, Florida, passed and duly adopted an Ordinance creating Article XII of Chapter 62 of the Code of Ordinances, establishing a domestic partnership registry in Sarasota County.
Sarasota County Ordinance #2013-037 states that a Domestic Partner means one of two individuals who are parties to a domestic partnership, and that a Domestic Partnership means a committed domestic relationship between two individuals that meets all of the criteria described in Section 62 -337 of Article XII.
To register, partners must complete an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership Registration, provide a recording fee and apply in person with two witnesses. The Affidavit form is available at the Clerk of the Circuit Court and County Comptroller's office, or is downloadable. Fees may be paid by cash, credit card, check, or money order payable to the Sarasota County Clerk of the Circuit Court and County Comptroller. All credit card transactions are subject to a 3.5% non-refundable fee, assessed by a third-party payment processor (MyFloridaCounty.com).
Complete your registration by visiting a one of the following Clerk and Comptroller's office locations:
Sarasota Main Office
2000 Main Street
Sarasota, FL 34237
Venice Branch Office
4000 South Tamiami Trail
Venice, FL 34293
Registering requires that both parties are present at the time the paperwork is filed, and have brought two witnesses. Upon completion and recordation, registrants will receive a Certificate of Registration.
The Affidavit of Domestic Partnership Registration and any other documents related to Ordinance #2013-037 will be open for public inspection in the Official Records of Sarasota County, Florida. Additional available forms include an Amendment to the Affidavit, and Termination of Partnership by one or both parties.
Do we have to register our Domestic Partnership in person?Yes, to register a Domestic Partnership, both partners must appear in person at the Clerk and Comptroller's office together. Both partners must bring a current form of photo identification. You will also need two (2) witnesses.
Is our registration information private?
No. The Affidavit of Domestic Partnership and any other documents related to Ordinance 2013-037 will be open for public inspection in the Official Records of Sarasota County, FL.
What are the requirements of the Affidavit of Domestic Partnership?
Partners must complete an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership Registration. This form is available at the Clerk and Comptroller's office or at www.SarsaotaClerk.com.
Sarasota County Ordinance #2013-037 states that an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership shall contain the name and address of each domestic partner, the signature of each partner, the signatures of two witnesses, and each partner shall swear or affirm under penalty of perjury that:
- Each individual is at least eighteen (18) years old and competent to contract;
- Neither individual is currently married under Florida Law or is a partner in a domestic partnership or a member of civil union with anyone other than the co-applicant;
- They are not related by blood as defined in Florida Law;
- Each individual considers himself or herself to be a member of the immediate family of the other partner and to be jointly responsible for maintaining and supporting the Domestic Partner;
- The partners reside in a mutual residence located in Sarasota County, Florida;
- Each individual agrees to immediately notify the Clerk, in writing, if the terms of the Registered Domestic Partnership are no longer applicable or one of the Domestic Partners wishes to terminate the Domestic Partnership;
- Each individual expressly declares their desire and intent to designate their Domestic Partner as their healthcare surrogate and as their agent to direct the disposition of their body for funeral and burial.
What is a Domestic Partner? What is a Domestic Partnership?
Sarasota County Ordinance 2013-037 provides the following definitions:
- A Domestic Partner means one of two individuals who are parties to a domestic partnership.
- A Domestic Partnership means a committed domestic relationship between two individuals that meets all of the criteria described in Section 62-337 of Article XII of the Code of Ordinances.
What will we receive showing that we have registered?Registered partners will receive one Certificate of Registration upon submission of completed forms and payment of fees. Once recorded, a certified copy of the Affidavit of Domestic Partnership can be purchased from the Clerk and Comptroller's Public Access department for an additional fee.
Where do we register our Domestic Partnership?
To register, visit either of the Clerk and Comptroller's offices in Sarasota (2000 Main Street) or in Venice (4000 S. Tamiami Trail).