For up-to-date information about the Clerk and Comptroller's response to COVID-19, visit our COVID-19 Information page.

Safe Place

The Safe Place and Rape Crisis Center (SPARCC) is the only state-certified center for domestic violence and sexual assault services for Sarasota and DeSoto Counties. All of SPARCC's services are free and confidential, such as assistance with filing for injunctions, a shelter operating 24 hours per day/365 days per year, court advocacy, children's services, and more. SPARCC also provides safety planning, crisis counseling and emergency shelter for victims, and their families.

The SPARCC VICTIM HOTLINE (941) 365-1976 or toll free (877) 365-1976 (DeSoto) is answered 24 hours per day to provide immediate response to the needs of callers. Go to SPARCC on the web at for more information about programs and services. SPARCC has multiple locations in Sarasota and DeSoto to serve victims of domestic violence or sexual assault:

Sarasota Outreach and Administration Center
2139 Main Street
Sarasota, FL 34237
HOTLINE (941) 365-1976
Administrative Line (941) 365-0208

Venice Outreach Office (by appointment only)
1531 Tamiami Trail South, Suite 702-A
Venice FL 34285
HOTLINE (941) 365-1976
Administrative Line (941) 492-3752

North Port Outreach Office (by appointment only)
6919 Outreach Way, B103
North Port, FL 34287
HOTLINE (941) 365-1976
Administrative Line (941) 429-3720

Arcadia Outreach Office
107 West Oak Street, Suite 202
Arcadia, FL 34266
Toll Free HOTLINE (877) 365-1976
Administrative Line (863) 494-4948


Restraining Order for Domestic Violence

If you are a victim of any act of domestic violence or have reasonable cause to believe that you are in imminent danger of becoming a victim of domestic violence, you can ask the Court for a protective order prohibiting domestic violence. Domestic violence includes assault, aggravated assault, battery, aggravated battery, sexual assault, sexual battery, stalking, aggravated stalking, kidnapping, false imprisonment, or any other criminal offense resulting in physical injury or death to petitioner, by any of the petitioner's family or household members.

Because you are making a request to the Court, you are called the petitioner. The person whom you are asking the Court to protect you from is called the respondent.

Domestic violence laws only apply to your situation if the respondent is your spouse, former spouse, related to you by blood or marriage, living with you now, or has lived with you in the past (if you are or were living as a family), or the parent of your child or children, whether or not you have ever been married or ever lived together. With the exception of persons who have a child in common, the family or household members must be currently residing together or have resided together in the past, in the same single dwelling unit.

There is no filing fee.

Documents to be filed when applying for an injunction for protection against domestic violence are as follows:

Petitioners who have minor children with the Respondent may also have to complete the following additional forms. Refer to the instructions for Completing the Petition for Injunction for Protection Against Domestic Violence for additional information on these forms and when they must be completed.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer