Have you received a call from someone who claims to be a Clerk and Comptroller's office employee? Our office periodically issues alerts when we have been made aware of schemes where people impersonate Clerk and Comptroller employees in order to get others to send money or disclose personal information, such as their Social Security number or bank account numbers.
Clerk and Comptroller employees do not initiate phone calls requesting payment by phone, and do not request personal financial information.
Protecting yourself against telephone based scams is simple. Just hang up. Unless you have initiated the call, never give out your personal information over the telephone.
If you receive a call and are unsure about it, write down as much information as you can, then call the Clerk and Comptroller's Office at (941) 861-7696 to determine whether the caller's claims are legitimate.
If you think you may have been the victim of a scam, you should contact your local law enforcement agency or the Florida Division of Consumer Services at (800) HELP-FLA (Florida Residents) or (850) 410-3800 from outside of Florida.
- FRAUD ALERT: Failure to appear scam reported in Sarasota, Aug. 2014
- FRAUD ALERT: Jury duty scam reported in Sarasota, Oct. 2014
- FRAUD ALERT: Jury duty scam reported in Sarasota, Mar. 2015
- FRAUD ALERT: Overcharging for certified copies of deed, June 2015
- FRAUD ALERT: Jury duty scam reported in Sarasota, Oct. 2015
- FRAUD ALERT: Notice to appear scam reported in Sarasota, Aug. 2015
- FRAUD ALERT: Jury duty scam reported in Sarasota, Mar. 2016
- FRAUD ALERT: Overcharging for certified copies of deeds, May 2016
- FRAUD ALERT: Non-sufficient funds scam reported in Sarasota, Sept. 2016