On June 1, 2009, the U.S. Government implemented the full requirements of the land and sea phase of Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). The rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at land or sea ports of entry, including travel to and from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean region which includes 17 nations, to have a passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security.
The Clerk of the Circuit Court and County Comptroller is only an acceptance agent, responsible for receiving and forwarding your application to the Department of State, Passport Services. The U.S. Department of State establishes the guidelines for acceptance and how the passports are processed. Should you have any questions, problems, or concerns, you must contact the appropriate Passport Office by calling toll free: (877) 4USA-PPT ((877) 487-2778) or for TTY/TDD (888) 874-7793. You can also obtain information about passports by visiting any of the following pages on the Travel.State.Gov website.
- Passport Services and Information:
- U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs:
- Visa Information and Requirements for U.S. Citizens:
- Download passport applications for first time applicants (form DS-11): http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds11/ds11_842.html
- Download passport applications for "renewal by mail" applicants (form DS-82): http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds82/ds82_843.html
- Check the status of your application online or contact the National Passport Agency: http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/status/status_2567.html
- New requirements for U.S. Birth Certificates:
Instructions for Application with the Clerk of the Circuit and County Comptroller
NOTE: All applicants must appear in person for a passport, including minors.
Information on applying for ONLY for a U.S. Passport Book
Information on applying for ONLY for a U.S. Passport Card
Information on applying for a U.S. Passport Book AND Passport Card
|Sarasota Main Office
2000 Main Street, Room 102
Sarasota FL 34237
|Venice Branch Office
R.L. Anderson Administration Center
4000 South Tamiami Trail
Venice FL 34293