Instructions on How to Request Stop Payment on a Check or Unclaimed Moneys Held by the Clerk and Comptroller
To request stop payment on a check, or to submit a claim for unclaimed moneys held by the Clerk and Comptroller, a notarized Affidavit for Stop Payment form must be completed. An Affidavit for Stop Payment form may be returned by mail or in person. The Clerk and Comptroller's office is available to assist you with completion of the Affidavit for Stop Payment form.
Upon receipt of a fully completed, signed, and notarized Affidavit for Stop Payment form, the Clerk Finance department will re-issue the referenced check, and mail it to the address on the form.
TO FILE BY MAIL:
- CALL the Clerk Finance department at (941) 861-7640 to obtain the following, required information:
- Check number
- Check date
- Amount of original check
- Description or Case Number
- Payee Name
- COMPLETE the Affidavit for Stop Payment form with the required information.
- PRINT the form, but do not sign.
- TAKE the form to a Notary Public.
- SIGN the form in the presence of the Notary Public.
- MAIL the completed, signed, and notarized form to:
Karen E. Rushing
Clerk of the Circuit Court and County Comptroller
Attn: Clerk Finance Department, Room 303
P.O. Box 3079, Sarasota, FL 34230-3079
TO FILE IN PERSON:
- VISIT the Clerk and Comptroller’s office:
- BRING an acceptable form of photo identification, such as:
- Valid, unexpired United States state-issued driver’s license
- Valid, unexpired United States state-issued identification card
- Valid, unexpired U.S. military identification
- Valid, unexpired Passport
- TELL the Deputy Clerk that you need to request stop payment on a check or to submit a claim for funds advertised in the newspaper. A Deputy Clerk will assist you with completion of the Affidavit for Stop Payment form.
- SIGN the form in the presence of a Deputy Clerk.