Any person charged with a moving or non-moving traffic violation that would result in points being assessed to their driving record may choose to attend a driver improvement course or a child restraint school.
YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THIS ELECTION IF:
- You are a holder of a CDL (commercial driver license) ;
- You have already submitted payment and have admitted to the violation;
- Payment of civil penalty was not submitted within 30 calendar days from the date of your citation;
- You have made this election in the last 12 months or five times in a lifetime.
BY SELECTING THIS OPTION:
- No points will be assessed, however the citation will appear on your driving record and your insurance company may consider it in determining your rates;
- Adjudication is withheld;
- You have waived your right to a hearing.
To select this option, complete the Traffic Citation Option Form indicating your election to attend a driver improvement school. The option form and payment must be received by the Clerk of the Circuit Court within 30 calendar days from the date the citation was issued. Payment can be made by mail or in person. Credit card payments are accepted. Effective June 21, 2010, credit card transactions are subjust to a 3.5% non-refundable processing fee, assessed by a third-party processor. Checks should be made payable to Karen E. Rushing, Clerk of the Circuit Court and mailed to:
Clerk of the Circuit Court, Sarasota
Traffic Violations Bureau
P.O. Box 850001
Orlando, Florida 32885-0232
Traffic or child restraint school must be completed and your certificate of completion returned to the Clerk of the Circuit Court within 90 days from the date your citation was issued. Failure to attend school in a timely manner and return your certificate of completion will result in points being assessed to your driver license, additional penalties of $23.00, and possible suspension of your license.
For information regarding driver improvement schools, refer to your local telephone directory under the heading of Driver Improvement or Driving Instruction or visit the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles webpage for their Basic Driver Improvement Course Providers list.