Effective January 6, 2015, the Sarasota County Recording Department will issue marriage licenses to all couples.
Marriage License Application Requirements
Applicants must apply in person and bring a driver license, passport, or Florida Identification Card. If either applicant was previously married, the date the prior marriage ended by divorce, annulment, or death is required.
e-Marriage Self-Service Kiosks
Self-service kiosks, located in the Customer Service area at the Clerk's business offices (Historic Courthouse, 2000 Main Street, Sarasota, FL, and the Robert L. Anderson Administration Center, 4000 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice, FL), provide a quick and efficient e-marriage license application option. E-Marriage kiosks are designed to improve the process by eliminating the need to stand in line at the courthouse. The self-service e-marriage license application process is not available through this website, as applicants are required to appear in person. Forms are not available for printing from this website, as the entire application process is electronic and available onsite at the Clerk's offices.
For more information about eMarriage in English, click here
For more information about eMarriage en Espanol, haga clic aqui para Espanol
Marriage License Information
If the pre-marital course is not attended by both applicants, the license will not be valid until three days after issuance. Exceptions to the waiting period are non-Florida residents applying for a license, and persons asserting hardships which are determined by the County Court Judge. For state residents, a County Court Judge may waive the delayed effective date for good cause. Further, a license cannot be issued unless the parties file a statement with the Clerk of the Circuit Court that they have read the handbook and filed an affidavit as to the parties' social security numbers. Requirements:
- Both applicants must be at least 18 years of age to apply without parental consent
- If either applicant is under the age of 18 years but at least 16 years of age, a birth certificate and proof of identification is required, along with notarized written consent of the parents or guardian. Consent forms are available at the Clerk of the Circuit Court and County Comptroller's office
- Applicants under 16 years of age must obtain a determination from a County Court Judge
- A blood test is not required
- A $93.50 fee is required payable by cash, credit card, check, or money order payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court. As of June 2010, all credit card transactions are subject to a 3.5% non-refundable fee, assessed by a third-party payment processor (MyFloridaCounty.com)
- When applying for a marriage license, upon furnishing a valid certificate of completion from a premarital course conducted by a registered course provider, the application fee shall be reduced by $32.50
- A printed copy of the premarital course completion certificate must be presented to the Clerk of the Circuit Court for filing to receive the application fee reduction.
Clerk of the Circuit Court Locations
|Sarasota Main Office
Customer Service Dept.
2000 Main Street
Sarasota FL 34237
|Venice Branch Office|
R.L. Anderson Administration Center
4000 South Tamiami Trail
Venice FL 34293
- The license must be used within sixty days of issuance.
- The license may be used in any county in the State of Florida.
- The executed license must be returned within 10 days to the county in which is was issued.
Should a couple choose to be married by the Clerk of the Circuit Court, an additional $30.00 fee is required. Ceremonies are performed by a Deputy Clerk, and weather permitting, ceremonies may be performed outside. Alternate locations include the Marriage Parlor or historic Courtroom of the 1920's Historic Courthouse in downtown Sarasota FL, or by the fountain at the R. L. Anderson Administration Center in Venice, FL.
Please select Office Hours and Locations for current hours of operation and availability to perform marriage ceremonies.